Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Grocery List: 6 GMO foods you want to avoid

This is a good one if you are new to GMO land.  Although there are better articles out there on the "Avoid This GMO Food" subject, this is a great place to start.  I don't know if I'm just becoming more aware or if people in general are becoming more aware of GMO's, but I hardly ever see articles like this popping up.  I did, however, just recently tweak my Google Alerts to be less selective in what it alerts me to regarding GMO's.....so it's entirely possible that these smaller articles are just showing up on my screen now whereas before they weren't included in my alert results.

Suffice it to say, I'm glad to see anything in the news that encourages the general public to increase their awareness of GMO's in their foods.  Given that scientific research is starting to show some serious problems with long term consumption of GMO foods (I'll include some of those articles in another post), it's important for each of us to make a decision on whether or not we want to consume these foods.

Anything with non-organic Canola (like oil), Corn, Soy (think soy lecithin, soy oil, soy milk, soy yogurt, you name it), Sugar made from sugar beets (I wouldn't trust any label that just shows 'sugar' as the ingredient.  I want to see 'evaporated cane sugar' on that label instead.  They haven't GMO'd sugar cane....yet.).  Some zucchini is GMO'd but I don't know much about how prevelant it is.  Alfalfa has just recently been allowed  a GMO status which could greatly impact the organic industry because of the amount of alfalfa used by any animal, especially cows, and there is no way to prevent GMO pollen or seed drift.  I recently heard that there are GMO grapes out there but I don't know where.  I haven't been able to find much on that.  Oh, and Dairy.  How could I forget?  The growth hormone r-BST (aka r-BGH) given to non-organic cows, is a GMO product.  Avoid that!

Anyway, here is the link.  Anything with non-organic dairy, corn, soy, canola, sugar on the label is suspect as a GMO product.  Unless it is organic, you can bet it is GMO based.

http://www.organicsoul.com/the-grocery-list-6-gmo-foods-you-want-to-avoid/

No comments:

Post a Comment